For some reason, I have been seriously putting off packing my hospital bag! I think in my mind it means that this is all really happening, and I guess I better come to terms because it's REALLY happening. This week, I decided it was finally time to get our bags all packed! I asked for advice from my followers on Instagram, friends and family and have come up with a cohesive list of all the essentials! I decided to break it up into three parts- what i'm packing for me, for the baby and for Ben!
WHAT'S IN MY BAG:
- My Overnight Bag: I recently got this bag from Henri Bendel, and I am OBSESSED! It is definitely a splurge but amazing quality and will be something I have in my closet for years. It is super roomy and fits everything I need for our hospital stay. I can't recommend it enough.
- Toiletry Bag: Along with the overnight bag, I picked up this toiletry bag. It is technically an organizer for a diaper bag, but works perfectly for this purpose. It will also be great to use in the diaper bag!
- Toiletries- I've been trying to narrow down my products to what I will truly use and have come up with a pretty good list. Hair ties and bobby pins (in case I want to braid my hair back for labor), hairbrush, dry shampoo (definitely a necessity), makeup removing wipes, toothpaste, electric toothbrush, deodorant, razor and moisturizer!
- Makeup: I've been told that having a small amount of makeup on will make you feel more like yourself after labor (especially when you have a bunch of visitors). I'm bringing my favorite foundation, concealer, bronzer, blush, mascara, eyeliner and eyebrow product!
- Chapstick: Evidently your lips get extremely chapped in the hospital! I am in love with this one from Hatch.
- Nipple Cream: This one is supposed to work wonders!
- Breast Pads
- Extra long phone charger (the outlets are supposed to be far away from the beds in the hospital)
- Towel from home: supposedly the ones in the hospital are small and scratchy
- Pillow: again, the pillows in the hospital are flat and scratchy (It was also recommended to have a colorful pillowcase so it doesn't get lost).
- Comfy Robe: I'm planning on wearing the hospital gown for labor and then changing into this robe for easy access for breast feeding. We also plan on taking a few pictures in the hospital, so this will photograph well.
- Nursing Pajamas: I am also bringing these pajamas from Belabumbum. They make great loungewear that is comfy, soft and perfect for breast feeding!
- Nursing Bra: I'm bringing both this one and this this one. I have worn this one for the past few months and love it. Its super comfy and provides just the right amount of support. I'm also bringing this nursing tank in case I prefer it.
- Flip Flops: I bought this cheap pair to have on hand for showering or walking the halls.
WHAT'S IN THE BABY'S BAG:
- Diaper Bag: I decided to pack the baby's diaper bag for the hospital so that it's all ready for when we get home. We are using this diaper bag from Fawn Design. I love that it is roomy and has plenty of space for everything we need. It's made from a durable faux leather that feels like the real thing and is easy to wipe clean. Plus it is pink and perfect for our little girl!
- Coming home outfit: I'm bringing two different sizes in case the newborn option is too small
- Onesies: Also bringing a few sizes for these
- Swaddle and hat for pictures: I got this one from Copper Pearl and LOVE it. Copper Pearl has the cutest prints and are made from the softest fabrics.
- "Hi My Name Is" name tag: I ordered this one off of Etsy
- Little Giraffe Blanket: This blanket is SO soft and one of my favorites that we have received.
- Pacifiers: Not sure if we will give one to her right away, but I want to bring them in case
- Bibs: These are my favorites!
- Car Seat: Ours is already installed in the car and we are planning on taking it to the fire station to ensure it is properly in there.
- Nursing Pillow: I have heard this is nice to have in the hospital for when you are getting the hang of breast feeding
WHAT'S IN BEN'S BAG:
- Overnight Bag: We have traveled with these for years and they are our favorite. They are perfect for overnight trips or weekend trips
- Comfy Clothes: Ben loves a good pair of joggers, a T-shirt and a hoodie!
- Button Down Shirt or Zip- Up Hoodie: for skin to skin when the baby arrives
- Blanket and Pillow: the sleeping situation for Ben at the hospital is not ideal but hopefully these will make it a but more comfortable
- Laptop and Charger
- Camera fully charged
- Extra long phone charger
- Both of our driver's licenses and insurance cards
Everyone says to bring an extra bag to fill with all of the freebies from the hospital. Take advantage of the diapers, wipes, disposable underwear. Ask for more when there is a shift change for nurses!